Contact Me

Email Me


only search Christian Unschooling

Cool Products

The Plan: Unschooling Edition


Christian Unschooling, The Book!
My Book


Save Your Marriage

Daily Devotions from the heart of a stander. Marriage Restoration God's Way. Click Here.


Change Your Life Forever


I Support







Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Knights Part 2

This is week 2 of Knights, in our Magic Tree House Book Club.

Knights Outline, Part 2


1. We talked about Lords and ladies.
I (tried) to refer to them as Lords and Ladies throughout class

2. Made an almoner
This is a money purse. We made one very simply out of scrap material, cut to the size of a dinner plate. Then took scissors and snipped holes all around the edges, and wove the ribbon through the holes, to create a drawstring.



3.Talked about Trebuchets and Cannons, which ultimately led to the end of castles
I almost bought a mini cannon here, but I was really focusing on trebuchets. I tried to find easy instructions for a trebuchet, but most seemed too complicated for a class with such diverse ages as mine. Then I begged, pleaded and tried to borrow one, but that didn't work out either. Eventually, after this class was over, I did find an easy to assemble kit on Ebay and purchased it. Better late than never!!


4. Fair Games
We split up into 3 groups...of course we had jousting, we also had a javelin type game where they threw pool noodles, Sheep Toss (stuffed animal of course), jousting obviously, and more. It was a great way to spend an hour or so outdoors having fun! We did the sheep toss differently than the above video...we used a stuffed animal, stood backwards and threw it up, above our heads and backwards...seeing how far they could be thrown.

Jousting (on horseback of course!)


Jousting and throwing the javelin



Extras
There are so many things that you COULD incorporate into this topic. I found neat activities for making a quiverful of arrows (learn about Robin Hood), making a trebuchet, etc.



My previous posts on this subject are:

Forming a Co-op
Magic Tree House Index
Dinosaurs Part 1
Dinosaurs Part 2
Vikings
Ninjas
Pirates Part 1
Pirates Part 2
Knights Part 1


1 comment:

  1. How fun! My daughter LOVES the MTH books - what a fun way to learn history, I say! If you do one next year we would love to join. :)

    ReplyDelete