Contact Me

Email Me


only search Christian Unschooling

Cool Products

The Plan: Unschooling Edition


Christian Unschooling, The Book!
My Book


Save Your Marriage

Daily Devotions from the heart of a stander. Marriage Restoration God's Way. Click Here.


Change Your Life Forever


I Support







Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 20, 2008

About Me

I'm the product of 2 public school teachers who loved to instill in their children a love of learning. Growing up, I was forever playing with math manipulatives, workbooks, and reading. We had a great home on a rural lane, lots of trees, a stream, and friendly neighbors. It made for a lot of outdoor play with our imaginations.

While pregnant with my first son, I heard about homeschooling. After he was born I realized I was meeting his needs, not only developmentally, but he was learning! I enjoyed watching his brain spin and grasp things...by the time he was 2 I knew we would homeschool!


Married to Chris for almost 9 years, together we have 2 sons, my son from a previous marriage, and Chris' 2 sons from a previous marriage. Yes, adding correctly that is a total of 5 boys! Their ages are 15, 14, 14, 7 & 2. My oldest, 14, has been homeschooled since birth, as have the 2 youngest. I was also able to homeschool 1 of my stepsons from 5th-7th grade, until he moved out of state. The other has Cerebral Palsy and has always been in public school.

While religious reasons were not the primary reason for choosing to homeschool, we do indeed try to walk with the Lord.

Between our 5 boys, 4 have some special need or another, and one would be termed "gifted" if in school. They run the gamut, but even in YOUR family, each child is different than the next. This does allow me to truly know that homeschooling evolves not only from year to year, but also from child to child.

I have been active in the homeschool community for many years and in many different ways:
*Hosted for AOL in the Homeschool Chatroom for 3 years
*Co-Authored "Christian Unschooling; Growing Your Children in the Freedom of Christ"
*Edited and Published an online ezine, Seedling (yahoogroups)
*Formed a local support group in the NW area of Las Vegas
*Mentoring leader for 2 other local support groups
*Founding Officer, past President and current Officer, of Nevada Homeschool Network
*continually lobbying for homeschool freedoms
*Clark County point of contact for new homeschoolers
*many tv and print interviews
*volunteer mentoring in the community
*speaking engagements on homeschooling
*blogging about Christian Unschooling

When I am not busy running kids to and from activities, helping newbies or playing with the kids, I can be found reading, scrapbooking, or surfing the web..for what else, but educational resources!!!!

If I could give you any advice on homeschooling it would be: Don't spend much until you see an actual item, and certainly not in your first year; RELAX; have attainable goals; RELAX; incorporate your children's interests; and RELAX! One need not re-create school at home, learning always happens.

3 comments:

  1. Elissa, thanks for emailing me back about the caterpillars. I am at sterkenclan@yahoo.com

    I have been wanting to unschool totally, but seem to not have the nerve to jump in totally. Mainly because my 13 year old is starting high school and I am unsure of how to deal with it. God is so awesome though to have led me to the Christian Unschooling book. MIne is ridiculously highlighted! I love it and have read it countless times. THanks for the encouragement your words bring. BTW, when I clicked on "The Plan" to the left it said "product not found"

    Blessings, Christa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Hannah Bevills, Editor for Christian.com which is a social network made specifically for Christians, by Christians, to directly fulfill Christian's needs. We embarked on this endeavor to offer the ENTIRE christian community an outlet to join together as one (no matter denomination) and better spread the good word of Christianity. Christian.com has many great features aside from the obvious like christian TV, prayer request or even find a church/receive advice. We have emailed you because we have interest in collaborating with you and your blog to help us spread the good word. I look forward to an email regarding the matter, Thanks!

    God Bless

    |Hannah Bevills|Christian.com|
    hannah.bevills@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if you charge to review or not but our small group of Christian Day Care providers has three great websites:
    www.teachustopray.com, www.bibleparent.com and www.thevbshalloffame.com, thousands of free coloring pages and "Pocket Scriptures".

    bibleparent.com is especially precious to us as all 30 of our nations leading christian publishers have completely quit printing Bible memory cards. Walk into any christian book store in the U.S. and your chances of finding these once popular cars is less than one out of a hundren. God's word in family friendly form is becoming extinct and the body of Christ seems not to be noticing.

    We also love the learners puzzle at www.teachustopray.com

    In His Service and yours

    Charles White

    ReplyDelete